Olive oil tasting
The olive oil experience in the olive grove
In the last part of the tasting session, we pair different types of olive oil with certain foods. We savor the amazing result after adding an excellent extra virgin olive oil that transforms a dish’s flavors. Hints about how to store, select, bake, and cook – even fry – with olive oil will be shared. Cooking techniques such as frying, olive oil acidity, price and quality, will no longer be between myths and legends after your visit.
Olive oil workshop beside ancient treesOur experience takes place in the village of Pigi, 8 km from the city of Rethymno on the way to Arkadi Monastery. With an area of 10.000 square meters, the venue is one of the largest monumental olive groves in the Mediterranean region. We will walk right up to olive trees that are more than 2000 years old. The local olive variety (Hondrolia) is endangered, but the sculptural trees that have survived make this olive grove a living museum of nature’s artwork.
Where we MeetWe meet in front of Valide entrance and we drive directly to the olive grove (1km away)
About the Experience
- Duration: 3 hours
- Private groups
- Easy – for beginners and all participants
- No special skills required
- Wheelchair accessible
- Pet friendly
- Family friendly
- Offered in English and French
- Flexible timetable upon request
How to Prepare for this Unique Experience
- Bring a hat and a jacket or coat (depending on the season).
- Wear comfortable walking shoes.
- If you are a smoker, avoid smoking for at least 1 hour before the tasting session.
- Avoid using any perfume, hand cream, or other scented cosmetics on the day of the tasting.
- Inform us in advance of any food allergies, or if you follow a special diet (vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, lactose free, halal, kosher, etc.)
What is Included
About food & olive oil pairing: When you pick the right olive oil for your dish, the flavors are in harmony, just like when you pair a wine with your dinner. But how do you know which olive oil to pick? In the second part of the olive oil tasting we pair food with the three different categories of extra virgin olive oil (delicate, medium, and robust). It is truly amazing how olive oil can change a dish.
- A welcoming “meze” (appetizer plate) in Cretan way
- A 4-course degustation menu demonstrating olive oil-food pairings